@pogchink: my dog isnt sexually stimulated by spanking

Pho's Noodle House (& His Wiley Employees) - Confirmed Doxxxes for Pho, Eli & Guilty

LISTENING ANTI-WORLD II

www.lolcow.org

So "Retard" is a Bad Word?

Posted By: HilhamHawk

So "Retard" is a Bad Word? - 06/03/15​

"Last week, Bruce Casper was fired from his job at a Chili’s restaurant in the Pittsburgh Mills Mall in Tarentum, Pennsylvania, CBS News reported. His girlfriend, Crista Miller, says it was because he complained to management about employees using the word “retarded.”

The couple has three children together and their youngest, a 16-month-old toddler named Kyron, has Down syndrome.

Related: The Special Needs Parenting Secret I Really Need You to Hear

After Casper complained about the repeated use of the word, he was allegedly told to leave if it bothered him. When he returned for his next shift, he found that it’d been covered.

Miller turned to social media to express her outrage over the events, posting the following to Facebook:

Please share: Chili’s in the Pittsburgh Mills thinks it’s OK to use the word ‘retarded’ and call people ‘retards’ (management and employees). Bruce has brought the use of this word up time and time again even requesting a meeting regarding it, and nothing was done. Yesterday, he was called a retard again in front of management and when he made it clear to everyone near that our son has Down syndrome and he will not tolerate that word, management said, ‘You can leave then.’ So he did. He went in today to work his shift and they had his shift covered. In two years he has called off maybe three times due to a surgery he had and two that our son had. He’s never late and he goes in when others call off or when it’s asked of him. Apparently hate speech is allowed and even defended there… I would not call that place ‘family friendly.’ This is disrespectful to not only my family but everyone who knows someone with Down syndrome or has Down syndrome themselves!

Related: To the People Who Stare at My Kid: Your Confused Face Is an Ugly Face

Casper, who has been advised by a lawyer not to talk about the firing, was offered another job at a different Chili’s location but declined, as he no longer feels comfortable working for the restaurant chain.

“One of the managers has used the word ‘retarded’ just in conversation, which is completely inappropriate,” Miller told CBS News. “Not only for Kyron but for all kids with special needs, whether it’s Down syndrome or something else. There’s a right and there’s a wrong, and this is wrong.”

Link
Posted By: mirage243

Re: So "Retard" is a Bad Word? - 06/03/15​

The whole world has gone full retard.
Posted By: mjbgalt

Bet if he was a star employee they wouldn't have said he could leave if he didn't like it. More to this story if my years of restaurant management back in the day mean anything lol
Posted By: Fuzzy_Bunny

Chili's will pay him a large chunk of money to shut up, and him and his girlfriend will have gotten exactly what they want.

It aint about calling anybody a retard.

Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Bet if he was a star employee they wouldn't have said he could leave if he didn't like it. More to this story if my years of restaurant management back in the day mean anything lol

He was probably acting like a f'ing retard.
Posted By: deflave

It's not just Chilis. We used the term all the time growing up and I still do.

But be mindful of your audience when you use that word. Especially warn your kids if they are in public schools. In 2015 it is akin to the n-word.

"Fat" is next on the list.

Clark
Posted By: Mannlicher

Originally Posted by mirage243

ding, ding, ding! That is a winner.
smile

Originally Posted by Fuzzy_Bunny
Chili's will pay him a large chunk of money to shut up, and him and his girlfriend will have gotten exactly what they want.

Which is really the reason that he turned down a job at another location.
Posted By: hatari

Can't use the term "retard" or "retarded" anymore. Can't use the term "black" much less the older term. Can't use the term "Oriental" anymore. All are deemed offensive.

Juliet: "What's in a name? That which we call a rose By any other name would smell as sweet." Romeo and Juliet (II, ii, 1-2)

Thing is, too many people go around just looking for something to be offended by. Part of it is them trying to prove that they are better than their poor neanderthal parents were, but the biggest factor is the attention, along with the related chance for a "payday".
Posted By: EdM

Originally Posted by deflave

But be mindful of your audience when you use that word. Especially warn your kids if they are in public schools. In 2015 it is akin to the n-word.

Clark

This. I recall my 4th grade teacher calling me an "MR" when I did a [bleep] up in class.
Posted By: Fireball2

What's next, Montanan?
Posted By: eh76

I'm offended by people using GFY on this website so stop it now.

Speaking of retards ^^^^

Dave

Originally Posted by eh76

Noted.

SMD,
Travis
Posted By: ringworm

Just because people who were born slow, infirmed or with downs we here once deemed "retarded" doesn't mean that people who are not impaired in a medical sence are not Retarded...as in "a person who is stupid, obtuse, or ineffective in some way".
There are fkin stupid people...there are ignorant people...and there are fkin rocks walking the world.
I'll call them retards till I get fired.
And if you suffer from downs you probably are to retarded to be offended by me using the phrase retarded.
And there is no " proxy offensiveness".
Sorry , you can't be offended FOR someone who's not bright enough to be offended.

I meet people every fkin day who need phone change and a note pinned to their shirt.
Posted By: RWE

I said something was "retarded" once.

My Grandson said that "retarded was a bad word"

I asked who told him that.

preschool teacher.

I was prepared to give him a list of words I wanted the preschool teacher to checkoff what was bad, but my wife interceded.

Come to think of it, "slag" was on the top of the list.
Posted By: sactoller

Naming your a 16-month-old toddler named Kyron is retarded!
Posted By: Fireball2

Speaking of retards ^^^^
Dave

I am tired of you. I don't find you the least bit funny anymore since your participation on the thread of my misfortune with my marriage. I think you lack any class whatsoever.

Originally Posted by ringworm
Sorry , you can't be offended FOR someone who's not bright enough to be offended.

Sure they can. The bigger the perceived payday, the more offended they get. Otherwise, you're spot on. My oldest boy, at home, is a high functioning autistic. Whenever he does something completely stupid, I tell him, "Noah, don't be a retard." He laughs, and says "OK." Doesn't even phase him.
Posted By: Sharpsman

GFY

Posted By: ratsmacker

Everyone play nice, you morons (probably the next bad word).
Posted By: Mannlicher

The only way you can be offended, is if you hold someone else's opinion in higher esteem than your own.
Anything else is just bullscheit.

Originally Posted by Sharpsman

GFY

laugh

Posted By: RickyD

I spent 3 years working on parties for special ed kids at our church back in high school. I loved the kids, even though they could be very trying sometimes. It made me sensitive to how the term "retard" was used, particularly when derogatorily aimed at someone who had cognitive disabilities. I recognized it as one of those words that help define the real azzholes in the world.

For point of reference, the kids I grew up with in Michigan used "biscuit eater" as a derogatory term.

I guess its all in the delivery...
Posted By: gitem_12

Originally Posted by HilhamHawk
Thing is, too many people go around just looking for something to be offended by. Part of it is them trying to prove that they are better than their poor neanderthal parents were, but the biggest factor is the attention, along with the related chance for a "payday".

And they gwt away with it because this country has entirely too many lawyers

Posted By: Hotload

Clark

Now wait ....
I remember Obama ( yes the POTUS ) using the word RETARD. It may have been 5 years ago.
Can anyone think of the details ? I'll google it and see if I can find more.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
Speaking of retards ^^^^
Dave

I am tired of you. I don't find you the least bit funny anymore since your participation on the thread of my misfortune with my marriage. I think you lack any class whatsoever.

Is this you or did another woman hack your account?

Hard to tell the difference.

Travis
Posted By: Steve

Clark

That's why I use the term fat-tards.
Posted By: Steve

And now GFY-tard.
Posted By: jimy

Instead of complaining to the management, I would have simply punched out the mouthy one until he got the point that I didn't like his choice of words, no need in being offended about anything, be sides the term window lickers is better at getting the point across.
Posted By: bea175

You can paint it any way you like, but a Retard is a Retard
Posted By: add

Originally Posted by RickyD
I spent 3 years working on parties for special ed kids at our church back in high school. I loved the kids, even though they could be very trying sometimes. It made me sensitive to how the term "retard" was used, particularly when derogatorily aimed at someone who had cognitive disabilities. I recognized it as one of those words that help define the real azzholes in the world.

Lots of "those words" exist.

It is one thing for adults using those words directed at a target, quite another when it is simply being tossed about in the vernacular.

Over sensitivity or being offended to their usage in the latter context, has done society no favors, imo.

Using those big two syllable words properly, and in a sentence shows just how untarded some of you really are, who says public education is failing in America
Posted By: 260Remguy

There are a lot of other words that could be used to articulate the same meaning as "retarded", some which are likely to be less offensive to more folks than "retarded".

Birdbrain
Dim-wit
Dumbell
Lame-brained

I prefer "dumb-[bleep]", but that's just me.

Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I prefer "dumb-[bleep]", but that's just me.

My oldest boy, back before he got all grown, and moved out, used to answer to "dumbazz" quicker than he would his given name.
Posted By: edk

My neice introduced me to the term [bleep]-tard.Laughed long over that one and use fairly regular now. ED K
Posted By: 12344mag

That's retarded!
Posted By: EvilTwin

Originally Posted by RickyD

Those kids have something beyond their control. I never refer to them as retards. SBH,Sherp and a few others are retarded. Some are probably fat retards besides.
Posted By: Rooster7

I remember one time when both the Vikings and the Packers were playing particularly like chit in a game. I posted on FB that "this is like watching retards fight"

Man the "retard" word haters came out of the wood work. I promptly told them all to kindly GFY through PM's.

That site is pretty retarded.
Posted By: heavywalker

My daughter has a retarded kid in her class. A while back we were talking and mentioned her name and my mom asked who that was, wanting a description, I said, "you know that little retarded girl" Holy schit you would have thought I just tried to drowned the kid.

Since I have used the term many times in the same company and never had so much as a cross look from anyone, I can only deduce that is is okay to call someone retarded if they are not retarded, but it is not okay to call them that if they are in fact retarded. I am supposed to refer to them as special, or special needs.

The whole world has gone full on retarded.

retarded
[ri-tahr-did] Usually Offensive who knew?

Synonyms
Word Origin

adjective
characterized by a slowness or limitation in intellectual understanding and awareness, emotional development, academic progress, etc.
Slang. stupid or foolish.
noun
(used with a plural verb) people who are slow or limited in mental development (usually preceded by the):

Google Rosa's Law

This Act shall be construed to make amendments to provisions of Federal law to substitute the term "an intellectual disability" for "mental retardation", and "individuals with intellectual disabilities" for "the mentally retarded" or "individuals who are mentally retarded", ...

RETARDED

What can you find on midget, that isn't in vogue anymore either.
Posted By: Steelhead

My father was sitting with a few friends one evening in a bar. He's one friend was Italian and dad called him a 'guinea' a few times.

A guy from a two tables away came over and said 'I'm Italian and I'm offended by you using the word guinea'

My father said 'I wasn't calling you guinea, I was calling him guinea. So if I call my Italian friend an [bleep] that means that you're an [bleep] also because you're Italian?'

The only people I've ever referred to as RETARDED are those that have the choice to be as so or not.
Posted By: Ptarmigan

Originally Posted by Steelhead

The only people I've ever referred to as RETARDED are those that have the choice to be as so or not.

Bingo!
Posted By: Scotty

Originally Posted by Hotload

Clark

Now wait ....
I remember Obama ( yes the POTUS ) using the word RETARD. It may have been 5 years ago.
Can anyone think of the details ? I'll google it and see if I can find more.

Considering that the man can not speak without lying, I would guess he wasn't talking about himself.

Originally Posted by heavywalker
What can you find on midget, that isn't in vogue anymore either.

Vertically disadvantaged
Posted By: Scotty

In fifty years from now "special need" will be offensive..
Posted By: EvilTwin

Politically INcorrect: Definitions

DUMB retarded broad who left her window down to take pictures of lions in S.Africa.
2:Retard who let buffler get too close in Yellowstone

Originally Posted by Scotty
In fifty years from now "special need" will be offensive..

Yep, eventually the word or phrase becomes associated with the people it describes and becomes derogatory as people start using it to describe others who do not suffer with an affliction.
Posted By: ldholton

So th term fat assed retarded ni@@er is out dated? Just goes to show how this country as a whole can no longer accept truth and honesty , no matter how brutal
Posted By: JGray

My wife used to assist with special needs kids with our local school district, and also has a cousin who is "slow". She does get a little irritated with me when I use the term "retarded" and prefers "cognitively delayed". However, I never refer to someone with special needs as being retarded, but often do use the term for other folks when they're being, well - retarded
whistle

I had/have a good friend that worked at a special needs school. He LOVED whenever women would ask what he did for work. He would steal the Matt Dillon line from Something About Mary and reply "I work with retards."

This of course would bring angry responses but he'd just shrug it off and explain he did more to help them than they ever did so STFU.

It always ended badly. Meaning funny. For me. He never benefited from it actually.

Dave

Originally Posted by JGray
My wife used to assist with special needs kids with our local school district, and also has a cousin who is "slow". She does get a little irritated with me when I use the term "retarded" and prefers "cognitively delayed". However, I never refer to someone with special needs as being retarded, but often do use the term for other folks when they're being, well - retarded
whistle

Sums it up for me
Posted By: bucktales

So let's see.

I put a new distributer in my old car.
Instead of advancing the timing 10 degrees, I turned it the wrong way.
Now it's 10 degrees of special needs.
Got it now.

So i guess now Chris Jenner is considered mentally challenged instead of a Frigging Retard
Posted By: DaveR

This thread reminded me of one of my favorite quotes on this forum, penned by NorthernDave I believe:

"Makes me happier than a retard in a room full of bouncy balls".

Posted By: ROMAC

I am enlightened, instead of calling anybody a "retard" I now call them "short bus".

Anybody over 40 knows all the retards used to take the short bus to school.

Originally Posted by ROMAC
I am enlightened, instead of calling anybody a "retard" I now call them "short bus".

I'm bad about using SPED, which I picked up in school many years ago. Refers to the door in school that had "Sp. Ed" on the label.
Posted By: slumlord

judges will also accept

ra-tord

or weetodd

or even sofa-king-weetodd-it for the real window lickers

Posted By: stxhunter

i used the word ni-gg-er today at work with a black guy sitting next to me, in front of my manager and another co worker. no one seem to care.
Posted By: poboy

What went with Ra-ford?

Originally Posted by poboy
What went with Ra-ford?
he's still around here somewhere
Posted By: stuvwxyz

Retard is often used wrong. We would often retard something in our business. From engine retarders, to flow retarders. Just means to slow down.

You don't have to be retarded to be retarded.
Posted By: tzone

Originally Posted by Fireball2
Speaking of retards ^^^^
Dave

quit being retarded.
Posted By: tzone

Originally Posted by bucktales
So let's see.

I put a new distributer in my old car.
Instead of advancing the timing 10 degrees, I turned it the wrong way.
Now it's 10 degrees of special needs.
Got it now.

Raffin!

actually ROTFRMAO

Originally Posted by tzone

quit being retarded.

If participation on his marriage thread is cause to dislike people, he must dislike a whole lot of people.

Travis

call me retarded, but it seemed more like a divorce thread than a marriage thread.
Posted By: stuvwxyz

Retard is often used wrong. We would often retard something in our business. From engine retarders, to flow retarders. Just means to slow down.

got it, let me try again.

call me slowed down, but it seemed more like a divorce thread than a marriage thread.
Posted By: DigitalDan

So "Retard" is a Bad Word?

The question is retarded.

Says the goat with the retard grin...
grin

Posted By: grouseman

Idiot used to be the word to describe mentally challenged people. Now that word is fine to use as they morphed their label over and over again. Pretty soon you won't be able to use the word 'special' any more. You know, you can't say ".38 Special", it'll have to be ".38 Not Special needs Special".

And retarded can also refer to the position of your ignition distributor on your car. And you know how well your car runs when the ignition timing is retarded, don't you.

the Blacks in the 50's and 60's rode this type of bus when i went to school, because they weren't allowed to to ride the same bus as whites . The retards rode the same school bus everyone else did.

Originally Posted by bea175

the Blacks in the 50's and 60's rode this type of bus when i went to school, because they weren't allowed to to ride the same bus as whites . The retards rode the same school bus everyone else did.
retards were looked upon more favorably than coloreds

laugh

Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by bea175

retards were looked upon more favorably than coloreds

laugh

and they still should be today the way they now act
Posted By: curdog4570

Originally Posted by tzone

quit being retarded.

If participation on his marriage thread is cause to dislike people, he must dislike a whole lot of people.

Travis

A man would have to be retarded to think he could start a thread like that and get all Kumbyya posts on it.

Retarded?
[Linked Image]

Posted By: kwg020

So, does this mean I can no longer use the word "retard" when I'm referring to Mr. O and his cabinet of amateurs? Or with Nancy Pelosi at any time?
kwg

Originally Posted by kwg020
So, does this mean I can no longer use the word "retard" when I'm referring to Mr. O and his cabinet of amateurs? Or with Nancy Pelosi at any time?
kwg

You could, but the actual retarded folks don't really deserve the insult.
Posted By: nhFrank

We live in a thin skin world any thing you say could get you sued wtf no poloc jokes Jews or anything man a few years back we would all be locked up
Posted By: Scott_Thornley

Its not that its a "bad" word, its just a poor choice of words when describing a special needs child, and if many of you had much interaction with them, you would understand that "special", does a better job of defining them. And really you don't have to worry about insulting them as they basically are a whole lot happier with who they are than many of you are.
And for the most part those of you that feel the need to elevate your own stature by denigrating some one that was born with different set of circumstances to deal with then your self, well you guys are the really challenged ones among us, and I'm sure the "retarded" feel sorry for you.
This little "retarded" girl was carrying the flag for Track & field day.

Posted By: OrangeOkie

Can't even use the word "ch'mp" on the fire. The whole world has gone retard!

Originally Posted by jimy
Its not that its a "bad" word, its just a poor choice of words when describing a special needs child, . . .

Jimy you are a retard if you think people are referring to children when they use the word retard.

Like I said, liberalism is a mental disorder.
Posted By: chlinstructor

I've officially changed the word Retard to Demotard. As Democrats are the only retards that I know.
wink

Posted By: Barkoff

Well I would answer that with a question. If you were invited over for dinner with a friend and his wife, and you knew they had a down syndrome kid, would you use the term "retard" at the table?

If we were talking about Obongo sand his liberal politicians I would.

Originally Posted by Barkoff
Well I would answer that with a question. If you were invited over for dinner with a friend and his wife, and you knew they had a down syndrome kid, would you use the term "retard" at the table?

I don't consider children that are afflicted with Down's Syndrome retarded.

Well society for years has.

So since some people are fugged up everyone is? Socialist thinking
Posted By: krp

So, if I spray retardant on my concrete, it will flounder around trying to get off?

Kent
Posted By: Scott F

Your post offends me, pay up.
grin

Posted By: efw

Nope I wouldn't use that word on purpose at his table; that would be disrespectful & in bad form.

Similarly, I'd try to be respectful of the sensitivity of the man in the OP if he worked for me.

Problem is, there is just too much hypersensitivity encouraged in our culture. Nearly everyone is looking to be offended all the time. Life isn't fair, nor free from offense. If the guy in the story came to me & explained his issue respectfully I'd respectfully refrain. If I found out he'd gone to the boss who'd not seen fit to enforce his linguistic Nazism I'd continue as always. It's amazing what a little respect and common courtesy can do. Our culture is sorely lacking it these days.

Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Its not that its a "bad" word, its just a poor choice of words when describing a special needs child, . . .

Jimy you are a retard if you think people are referring to children when they use the word retard.

Like I said, liberalism is a mental disorder.

Thats what this thread was started about, a man that let his mangina get in the way of what really bothered him, most people that take offence to simple words are not worthy of any serious interaction any ways, but them who belittle those who are only dealt three cards in a stud poker game, are truly special in their own ways.
Posted By: rem141r

it is offensive. if you or someone you know has a kid with downs or any of the other syndromes that used to be referred to as retarded, you would be offended too. and this from one of the most non-PC guys on the planet whose kids are healthy and "normal".
Posted By: Backroads

The world ain't fair, and is filled with azzholes.

Buck up, retard.
Posted By: FishinHank

If you are one, it sucks

Where you going with this, are you pretending that "retard" has not been a universal, derogatory slang for kids with down syndrome?

OK, run with that,

I know strippers don't like to be called strippers anymore either. They are now called Single Mothers.
Posted By: chlinstructor

I know strippers don't like to be called strippers anymore either. They are now called Single Mothers.

TFF!

Where you going with this, are you pretending that "retard" has not been a universal, derogatory slang for kids with down syndrome?

OK, run with that,

Reverse it... if I call someone retarded, am I calling them a down syndrome child.

Kent

Originally Posted by krp

OK, run with that,

Reverse it... if I call someone retarded, am I calling them a down syndrome child.

Kent

If you just called them friends it wouldn't matter.

Not everyone is my friend.

You didn't answer the question.

Kent

I don't have retarded friends, only my friends have retarded friends.
Posted By: barm

"Last week, Bruce Casper was fired from his job at a Chili’s restaurant in the Pittsburgh Mills Mall in Tarentum, Pennsylvania, CBS News reported. His girlfriend, Crista Miller, says it was because he complained to management about employees using the word “retarded.”

The couple has three children together and their youngest, a 16-month-old toddler named Kyron, has Down syndrome.

Related: The Special Needs Parenting Secret I Really Need You to Hear

After Casper complained about the repeated use of the word, he was allegedly told to leave if it bothered him. When he returned for his next shift, he found that it’d been covered.

Miller turned to social media to express her outrage over the events, posting the following to Facebook:

Please share: Chili’s in the Pittsburgh Mills thinks it’s OK to use the word ‘retarded’ and call people ‘retards’ (management and employees). Bruce has brought the use of this word up time and time again even requesting a meeting regarding it, and nothing was done. Yesterday, he was called a retard again in front of management and when he made it clear to everyone near that our son has Down syndrome and he will not tolerate that word, management said, ‘You can leave then.’ So he did. He went in today to work his shift and they had his shift covered. In two years he has called off maybe three times due to a surgery he had and two that our son had. He’s never late and he goes in when others call off or when it’s asked of him. Apparently hate speech is allowed and even defended there… I would not call that place ‘family friendly.’ This is disrespectful to not only my family but everyone who knows someone with Down syndrome or has Down syndrome themselves!

Related: To the People Who Stare at My Kid: Your Confused Face Is an Ugly Face

Casper, who has been advised by a lawyer not to talk about the firing, was offered another job at a different Chili’s location but declined, as he no longer feels comfortable working for the restaurant chain.

“One of the managers has used the word ‘retarded’ just in conversation, which is completely inappropriate,” Miller told CBS News. “Not only for Kyron but for all kids with special needs, whether it’s Down syndrome or something else. There’s a right and there’s a wrong, and this is wrong.”

Link

I guess it is a bad word, but it is just a word. I think the problem lies in how it used or the tone used when it is said. I suspect that those who are offended the most are not actually the victim of the slight. Soon people will say "special" with a certain tone and/or facial expression and it will no longer be ok to use it.

I grew up with a kid who is "special needs". My mother and his mother were best friends. I never noticed him paying much attention to what people said to him as kids do. However, he did notice how people around him reacted to what was said to him.

Acting like the word police is not going to change anything. As people experience more in life they will either change or shy away and stay the same. I don't want to see a ban on words over this topic. I think we can all agree that these kids and adults who are described as "special" or "retarded" have their struggles just like each one of us. Some of us are just better at hiding our flaws.

Some of us are just better at hiding our flaws.

And then, there are those among us whom willfully advertise theirs.
Funny world we live in.
Posted By: barm

Some of us are just better at hiding our flaws.

And then, there are those among us whom willfully advertise theirs.
Funny world we live in.

Very true.
Posted By: CharlieFoxtrot

This thread is cognitively delayed.

Reverse it again... if I call someone retarded and never imagine a down syndrome child and see a down syndrome child and never imagine of the word retarded.

Kent

Are you saying that you are using the term "retarded" in a redeeming way?

Are you saying you don't know the difference between a connotation and a denotation?

Kent
Posted By: Akbob5

Originally Posted by efw

Nope I wouldn't use that word on purpose at his table; that would be disrespectful & in bad form.

Similarly, I'd try to be respectful of the sensitivity of the man in the OP if he worked for me.

Problem is, there is just too much hypersensitivity encouraged in our culture. Nearly everyone is looking to be offended all the time. Life isn't fair, nor free from offense. If the guy in the story came to me & explained his issue respectfully I'd respectfully refrain. If I found out he'd gone to the boss who'd not seen fit to enforce his linguistic Nazism I'd continue as always. It's amazing what a little respect and common courtesy can do. Our culture is sorely lacking it these days.

Pretty on the money EFW, but I suspect most on the Fire have respect, care, and consideration for the truly disabled and needy regardless of title.

I was thinking about political correctness and offensive terms while I was grilling today and singing the Oscar Mayer weiner song. I sang Dire Straits "Money for Nothing" for an encore.
Posted By: FishinHank

I am laughing all the way to the bank

"Retarded" to down syndrome is the same "crazy" to bipolar, not many are going to get whacked out over it, but it does sting loved ones, I can tell you that from experience.

I use both terms, but not anymore when referring to down syndrome or bipolar people..hell I try to watch what I say period, I figured I didn't want to go through my whole life hurting people or offending them, shooting off my mouth without thinking
smile
I used to, but I just didn't want to do it anymore.

That's not what the thread is about, its about people that could, should and would know better than to use a term in a derogatory fashion around unknown people that may or may not have a direct correlation or hardships related to the term being used.
This isn't about hurting some ones feeling, and if you don't see that then maybe time will help you with it.

Just As a warrior is gauged by his adversary's so is a man judged by his mannerisms.

Seems some judge by projectionism, which is all to common. And the inability to read the black part of written word leaving the white part out... as my buddy Gene says.

Kent

its about people that could, should and would know better than to use a term in a derogatory fashion around unknown people that may or may not have a direct correlation or hardships related to the term being used.

What do you think I'm talking about? The OP's article was about a guy who had a down syndrome kid, he asked his fellow employees to not use the term, they know he has a afflicted kid. What that tells me is that they have zero respect for that guy, because if they did, they would have apologized and stopped using the term.

I chose to stop using the terms around people I do not know. fearing I would use them at an inappropriate time.

You know I might call my bud a gay slang starting with F and ending with T (let's see the software moderate that!) :)playing cards with him, but will always use the word "gay" if around people I do not know...same thing, it's all your choice.

Originally Posted by krp
Are you saying you don't know the difference between a connotation and a denotation?

Kent
I was replying to this post.

I've written about 8 sentences in this thread and you've replied to about 10 paragraphs in your imagination.

Kent

Originally Posted by krp
I've written about 8 sentences in this thread and you've replied to about 10 paragraphs in your imagination.

Kent

I have a vivid imagination.
smile

Obviously...

Kent

To tell you the truth I just feel that there are far more deserving individuals in this world to whom we should feel free to insult, than those who didn't choose to be.

Which has nothing to do with my posts, responding to the discussion starting with EH76's quote...

Which is the same position I have.

Kent

Thing is many may use it in their own context, but have no way of knowing how it is perceived by others because of its wide definition. The word's origins begin with mentally challenged kids, so then just becasue it has a wider use today, does not mean the original use is still not in play.

Choice is simple really, you either use it in your own context and care not what others think, or you decide not to, choosing instead another description.

I know when I was growing up, EVERY kid in school who was afflicted with Down Syndrome was said to be mentally retarded...but maybe that was only in my part of the world.

Now "window lickers" I know is offensive!
smile

retarded
Also found in: Medical, Legal, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
re·tard·ed (rĭ-tär′dĭd)
adj.
1. Often Offensive Affected with impaired intellectual development.
2. Occurring or developing later than desired or expected; delayed.
3. Offensive Slang Socially inappropriate or foolish.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
retarded (rɪˈtɑːdɪd)
adj
1. (Psychology) underdeveloped, esp mentally and esp having an IQ of 70 to 85. See also ESN, mental handicap, subnormal2
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003
re•tard•ed (rɪˈtɑr dɪd)

adj.
1. characterized by retardation: a retarded child.
n.
2. the retarded, mentally retarded persons collectively.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
retarded

In the past, when a child had a mental condition that made learning difficult, people used to say that he or she was retarded, backward, simple, or educationally subnormal. Nowadays these words are avoided because they are thought to be offensive. The adjective mentally handicapped is sometimes used to describe children who have a mental condition of this kind. However, the most sensitive ways of referring to such children are to call them children with special needs or children with learning difficulties.
See crippled
Posted By: kamo_gari

Re: So "Retard" is a Bad Word? - 06/04/15​

Originally Posted by EvilTwin

Those kids have something beyond their control.

Yeah. Unlike skin color!

wink
whistle

However, the most sensitive ways of referring to such children are to call them children with special needs or children with learning difficulties.
See crippled [/b]

My daddy always used to say that they were "crippled to high for crutches"

My arent we a sensitive lot.
What's next?
Short?
Bald?
Are we just going to remove every possibly offensive word from the language?
I'm guessing we will be asked to remove "fat" altogether since now its a disease.
How's fat not the same as downs?
We hire special needs at my biz.
I've got a "retarded" girl and a guy with spinabifita (spelling).
She's pretty sharp as downs folk go, but guess what? She's a big b1tch. She plays the downs card when she doesn't want to do a certain task. Then she'll come right off it as soon as the works done by someone else.
The kid on crutches works harder than some of the able bodied guys.
Posted By: Seafire

I know guys on the Campfire Here, and guys around town where I live, that RETARD would be a compliment...

gives them more credit for intelligence than they actually possess...

To tell you the truth I just feel that there are far more deserving individuals in this world to whom we should feel free to insult, than those who didn't choose to be.

I never took anything said in this thread to mean that anyone was supportive of denigrating the truly handicapped. Those born that way can't help it, and don't deserve to be put down for it. The ones that DO deserve it, are the people that act like retards, or idiots, or dumbazzes by personal choice.

Posted By: Rooster7

And there went my water all over my keyboard! ROR!

Oh yea, that's [bleep] hysterical, got any good dead baby jokes?

Again, retard is reserved for those that choose to be one.

Oh yea, that's [bleep] hysterical, got any good dead baby jokes?

[Linked Image]

You think the guy in the above picture choose to be one?

I didn't call him a retard.

You still don't get it or actually read what's wrote.

Kent
Posted By: IntruderBN

Does the airbus still give a "retard" audible warning if you have power on at landing? It sounded more like "reetard." Probably got flashed to something more appropriate since I last heard it.
Posted By: milespatton

The way I look at it is that I have a right to say most anything that I want to. You/He/She/them, have a right to get offended by it. It should be nobody elses (don't look right but spell check no help) business other than the one that I am talking to at the time. Especially not the Governments. miles

Originally Posted by IntruderBN
Does the airbus still give a "retard" audible warning if you have power on at landing? It sounded more like "reetard." Probably got flashed to something more appropriate since I last heard it.

Nope, it still does it.
Posted By: whelennut

I always say words are just words but you say them to somebody bigger and stronger and you may wind up with summer teeth.
Sum are there and sum aren't.

Posted By: 700LH

Dis fread iss weetarded

remember, if youre on a plane, don't ever let them place a retard next to the emergency exit

you don't want this dummass yanking on that red handle with him thinking candy or some chit will come out of it if he pulls on it.
Posted By: efw

No but you sure seem to be tryin pretty hard to be one.

Re: So "Retard" is a Bad Word? - 06/05/15​

Originally Posted by efw

No but you sure seem to be tryin pretty hard to be one.

One of the voices in my head stutters when I drink, but that's about as close as I get.
© 2021 24h
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/

They are to Plate Gang, what Crips are to Bloods. Dog are to Fats. Rogs are to Rats. Pho's Noodle House is a thriving cesspit of barren degeneracy. Numerous spastics fawn over Post-Ops Thai Ladyboys. They praise absent store managers. They rigerously invite aborigine a-logs to commentate to private audiences over feature lengths vignettes of nothing happening durng IP2 streams. They even sometimes Snipe The Gunt. This is Pho's Noodle House.

A greater den of cesspool and villainy has yet to be impregnated.

PHO
The Titilar Gay Retard himself, Pho does nothing and says nithing. He has never attended a session of a-logging Ralph or Baked, at least in this public form. Little is known about him, except his quite unironic identification as a "Gay Retard" Horrfici Face Acne, D&D Fan, Bloodborne Fanboy. And that';s what's puibly known

W.I.P.
Posting to test formatting and looks will update in a minute

naught

Probably black IRL
www.lolcow.org
Person of Interest
Cringe, you should've tried this when he was stream sniping Ralph plus he has a sense of humor and no unwanted self importance. @BhoPingas

SIGSEGV

Segmentation fault (core dumped)
www.lolcow.org
Admin
@LISTENING ANTI-WORLD II you haven't made even a single edit to this OP, if I come back here on Friday and you still haven't added to it, I'm tossing it in the shithole.
Cringe, you should've tried this when he was stream sniping Ralph plus he has a sense of humor and no unwanted self importance. @BhoPingas
You should take @naught's advice, he's really good at writing OP's and has never gotten his ass dragged through the fire by a lolcow for making a shit thread about them.