Hurting my friends over a sex tape I should have never worried about in the first place.

Music Guitars 'n' Stuff

Bad Gateway

King Simp
www.lolcow.org
It's been over 3 minutes since I have viewed a guitar thread on a political tranny bullying forum and now I'm cold and hot at the same time and I can't smell anything or taste food and I have this dry cough and I have the shakes and I have never had sex and also there's the incurable Hep E and crippling depression. Since there are more than 6 people registered here now, that means someone else plays guitar too. It means that someone else has Hep E, too.

You can use this thread to post good guitars:

This is a good guitar:
bluegoldpaisley2.jpg

This is a good guitar:
516324000000000-00-1600x1600.jpg

You can use this thread to talk about how playing guitar is fun but also bad, for example:

I've been working on the solo to Whole Lotta Love for like a month now and I still can't get it right. This sure is fun but also bad.

You can use this thread to post good guitar mans and wymxns:

This is a good guitar man

You can use this thread to talk about what guitars you want to build or buy, for example:

I'd really like to buy a guitar with some P90s, but it feels kind of like a waste to have that on a LP-style guitar, even though its more original. Maybe a thinline style, but I'd almost like to build a thinline though, get a nice natural finish? I have a Strat body with a pool route, I bet that would do the trick, but then it's like some weird kind of pervert Jazzmaster, seems wrong.

Get hard for guitars below

snailslime

www.lolcow.org
(acoustic) when i try to use any of the top frets, the strings feel way too tight and it's hard to get a sound out.

i don't know if i should try tuning it an octave lower or getting new and thinner strings. this did not happen when i played my friend's guitar

Bad Gateway

King Simp
www.lolcow.org
(acoustic) when i try to use any of the top frets, the strings feel way too tight and it's hard to get a sound out.

i don't know if i should try tuning it an octave lower or getting new and thinner strings. this did not happen when i played my friend's guitar
Sounds like it needs an adjustment. The upper frets or even just one fret is probably choking out the strings. There's a million million vids on how to do this on YT, but I like this Sweetwater vid because its pretty well segmented and produced.

Barb's Busted Box

I was asking for it.
www.lolcow.org

Sounds like it needs an adjustment. The upper frets or even just one fret is probably choking out the strings. There's a million million vids on how to do this on YT, but I like this Sweetwater vid because its pretty well segmented and produced.

Seconding what Gateway said. It's also reasonably cheap to go to a guitar shop and get a tech to look it over if you don't want to attempt it yourself. I've fixed a few guitars that were having similar issues but there is a chance that it's more complicated than a simple adjustment.

Boingotango

www.lolcow.org
not gonna dox my guitars bro

but ya know those Squire Stratocasters it seemed like every 12 year old who ever learned the first three notes to Smoke on the Water seemed to own?
Everyone once in awhile you can find one that is made very well. I have one and it stays in tune better than any guitar I own (which is just some midrange $300-600 guitars) And it actually sounds pretty good unplugged, the pickups in mine are serviceable, but it would probably be pretty sweet to put some aftermarket ones in.

wwindexx

www.lolcow.org
not gonna dox my guitars bro

but ya know those Squire Stratocasters it seemed like every 12 year old who ever learned the first three notes to Smoke on the Water seemed to own?
Everyone once in awhile you can find one that is made very well. I have one and it stays in tune better than any guitar I own (which is just some midrange $300-600 guitars) And it actually sounds pretty good unplugged, the pickups in mine are serviceable, but it would probably be pretty sweet to put some aftermarket ones in.
Look for the Japanese Squires. The Korean ones aren't too bad either.

Bad Gateway

King Simp
www.lolcow.org
I think I want a Strat or Strat-alike. Currently the one I have is one I built myself from a kit, and it's fine, but it's clearly some asshole's first attempt at building a guitar, so it has issues.

Must-haves: SSS or HSS, Maple neck, standard Strat(ish) look, two-point trem, a radius between 9.5" and maybe 16", compound okay, C-profile on the thinner side of things but thicker than Wizard, bone or quality synthetic nut.

Would be nice to haves: Satin neck finish, jumbo frets, quality glassy quacky pickups (I'd swap to a Fender Tex-Mex or Yosemite set if they suck, so less of a big deal), a cool looking body finish, fun wiring fuckery i.e. Gilmour or whatever.

The obvious options:

1) Build a partscaster: Always an option, pros would be cost, customization, I already have most of the parts. Cons, that shit is mad work. I'm sick to death of fuuuuucking leveling frets.

2) Buy parts and have a luthier do the annoying work like fret leveling and mounting the bridge: Eh, maybe. Seems like it would be more expensive in the end.

3) Buy something cheap and upgrade it: Yeah, maybe. The problem is I want it to play right out of the box, or near as possible. Swapping pickups is super easy, but I don't wanna put THAT much work into it.

4) Buy something mid-range and not need to upgrade it: I'm leaning this way. Maybe like the $350-600 range? Used fine, open box fine, all that stuff is fine. Basically just below the Fender Player level, $700+ is too much for me, I'll never be a pro.

5) Buy something expensive: No.

The buying shortlist (in no particular order):

1) G&L Legacy, probably the Tribute: Seems like a nice guitar, but I've never played a G&L, I don't know how they feel, and I can't find any around me to try. Seems risky.

2) Michael Kelly Custom 60 or 65: I like my T style MK very much, the playability is fucking fantastic, but this would be a pickup upgrader. The stock Rockfields sound like shit, so its essentially $150 more than the price of the guitar for the pickups.

3) Yamaha Pacifica PAC200: I'm liking this guitar more and more. Used market is decently priced and available, they seem incredibly well made for the price, very reliable and long-lasting. Pretty high on my list, honestly despite the lack of 2 point trem. They just feel SO GOOD to play.

4) Squier Classic Vibes Strat/Standard Strat (or similar older model)/Paranormal Cyclone: I have a CV Tele Deluxe and I adore it even in spite of the glossy neck. I already know I would really like any and all of these guitars and that is what lands them on this list despite the fact none of them have a 2-point trem (again). God dammit. Home field advantage for Fender, pay tribute (not bars).

5) Sterling Cutlass: Epic name, Leo's bastard son, but again, I've never been able to play one. Available roasted maple neck makes me hawney. If there were to be a top position currently, it's probably between this and the Yamaha.

Thoughts?

Last edited: